Sunday, May 31, 2009

Godspeed You! Black Emperor- F# A# Infinity


I have a crippling weakness for post-rock. I was introduced to the genre through a Slint album a friend recommended to me (Spiderland) I gave it a listen, and was hooked immediately. While listening to it I realized a peculiar quality about this new genre of music.

What I found was that you can't just listen to post-rock. You need to be in a certain state of mind, and when you are, you get a strange trance-like feeling.

Enough bullshit. On to the review. Godspeed You! Black Emperor's (gybe) album F# A# Infinity is truly one of the most haunting, captivating, and overall moving albums of the past twenty years. From the opening apocalyptic monologue of The Dead Flag Blues to the final silent minutes of Providence, and every little crescendo, violin scratch,and plink on the glockenspiel in between, I not just heard the music, I felt like I was part of the barren wasteland that this music wordlessly describes, and I enjoyed every minute of it. This is a fantastic album, perfect in pretty much every way. Among my favorite parts were the last part of The Dead Flag Blues, The 3 minute mark of East Hastings, and the 8 Minute point of Provedence. There were no faults I could think of.

A+


No comments:

Post a Comment